Recent Topics from the 5 Star Blog
– There is an issue brewing that should be of concern to all affiliate marketers. Firefox announced earlier in the year that they would start blocking cookies from third-party ad networks by default. That means network affiliate cookies would be blocked as well.
– Our client and favorite affiliate network, Share Results, has a good post I wanted to share. They offer tips for rejuvenating your affiliate program including: performing benchmarking analysis, motivating affiliates and doing a program audit. Rejuvenate your Affiliate Program | Share Results Has your affiliate program got you down? Do you feel like it’s in [...]
– If you want to stay on top of the ever changing world of affiliate marketing, you need to keep a watchful eye on the top affiliate blogs. The Twist Directory just put out a great list of the top 30 affiliate blogs. Considering I have not been blogging much lately I was surprised we made the list and came out in the #13 spot. Thanks! Check the rest and be sure you are subscribed to all the RSS feeds.
– 2012 zipped by and 2013 is already here. It’s really true that the older you get the faster time flies. So I hope you make every minute count this year and that you reach new levels of success and prosperity in 2013. On behalf of all the 5 Star Merchants and Affiliate Managers Happy New [...]
– Wanted to send along another warning to affiliates to be careful who you partner with AND be careful how you promote affiliate products. There was a big rash of crackdowns and busts a couple years ago on Acai affiliates, many of whom were using those fake news sites to promote their wares. Evidently all those busts didn’t quash all the bad players and Clickbooth one of the biggest affiliate networks, appears to have gotten caught now in the FTC’s cross hairs.
– It’s easy with the busy online lives we lead to take things for granted – yet by remembering to give thanks for all we have, we can attract even more abundance into our lives. So remember to take time out of all the turkey day festivities this year to give thanks for the many blessings [...]
– Affiliates have been using video for years on their sites. They either shoot them and distribute them with tools like OneLoad from TubeMogul or they use other people’s videos who allow embedding to entertain their readers. The problem with videos was that you never actually had a way to properly measure the reach you got, [...]
– Here is an in-depth study from Google about WHAT people are going to be shopping for this season along with insights about HOW they will be purchasing. Today, people no longer see a line between online and offline shopping, and neither do smart retailers. This year online and offline shopping experiences are more seamless than ever – across pricing, functionality, promotions – making this the first NONline holiday season…
– I rushed out and grabbed a copy of the old Webmaster Guidelines for Affiliates from Google cache, so we can compare the old with the new. And below for your viewing pleasure are both!
The most noteworthy change I highlighted in bold. In simple terms Google changed the tone from “affiliate sites are bad” to a more positive tone and highlights what makes a “Good” affiliate site.
– Amit says – When I started affiliate marketing back in 2005 it was NOT easy. I had to fight a hard battle to hit the tipping point, the point everything turned around and my affiliate income skyrocketed. In this video I explain the tipping point and the the science of getting rich in affiliate marketing. Since 2005 I’ve changed my focus to helping affiliates make the same breakthrough I made many years ago.
– Google controls so much of the Internet marketing ecosystem. Like it or not, affiliates have to play Google’s way or it’s the highway. I recently had an affiliate program manager contact me to say they needed to cancel their 5 Star affiliate promotion campaign and close their affiliate program because their affiliates were hit so hard by Panda. So there is a trickle down affect to Google’s actions and it affects everyone, even me. So I thought I’d share a couple recent articles that may be helpful in learning to play the game Google’s way.
– Yesterday Google released a completely new recommendation engine that redefines how both affiliates and merchants can find and take advantage of affiliate marketing opportunities. Below are a few highlights from the announcement.
– Hands off SEO Strategies for Affiliates… and how to outsource for pennies on the dollar! Earlier this year Amit Mehta spent about 2 months straight researching cutting edge SEO strategies and stumbled upon something that BIG. In the video below he details hands off SEO strategies that are not only extremely effective but only cost pennies on the dollar versus traditional approach to SEO with very little effort.
– I hear from a lot of affiliates that Adwords is dead. All the while I’m been quietly advertising with Google as an affiliate for the last several years without getting slapped or banned! If you follow the rules and have a complaint website you can make a FORTUNE with Adwords. If you understand what Google wants, you’ll not only be able to make your site virtually slap proof, but Google will love you.
– Here is some great info direct from Google about how it can be used to drive more affiliate sales. Some affiliates say Google hates affiliates, but Google does not. They just hate THIN affiliate sites. So here, direct from the horse’s mouth, are some insights about how do to affiliate marketing right. Also goes into higher level stuff like APIS, how network links are constructed and how tracking and cookies work.