This is one of the BEST articles I’ve read in awhile. It points out SO many of the wrong turns many affiliates make. I hope the author will put up with me quoting more snippets than I normally would. But there are so many great comments! However you really need to read the whole thing to get the most benefit!
…suffice to say I’m bored out of my mind blogging about questionable niche website practices, writing content for search engines and building questionable links – you know all the artificial things that we do to make ourselves believe that our websites are an asset to the web. There is really only so much I can take before I bash my head against my monitor out of sheer boredom and frustration that I fooled myself (and my readers) into believing I’m building a “business.”
For the past 2 years I blogged a great deal about quasi-SEO (or what I thought to be SEO), building niche websites, flipping websites, etc. I used many tools to help build spammy, artificial, low-quality junk links and I spent a great deal of time waiting to be ranked — favorably of course. Ultimately, I got what I wanted (read: rankings) but it wasn’t sustainable and it was mind-numbing and certainly not what I was passionate about doing since I only wanted to get in, get ranked, get paid and then get out.
Affiliate marketing isn’t dead. Promoting someone else’s products instead of creating your own is still very much lucrative, but expecting to get results from dead-end ‘marketing’ tactics and then whining when you don’t get rich within the proverbial 6 months that “gurus” tell you wait doesn’t work.
7 reasons why its best that you keep your day job:
– Your website doesn’t really solve a problem or provide a solution because you believe that is the job of Adsense ads.
– You don’t know where your audience is online — and you have no intentions of finding out either because long-tail search traffic from Google is all your website needs to survive.
– You believe that SEO stands for HubPages, Squidoo, Ezine Articles, mass press release submissions and forum profile links.
– The latest WSO that you purchased told you exactly what you need to do in order to make money online.
– If Google disappeared, you wouldn’t know how to get traffic since you hedged all your bets on the trickle of traffic you receive from your 70+ websites.
– You believe that you DESERVE to be ranked number one in search engine results because you have 5,000+ links while your competitors have less than 100.
– Your online marketing strategy = write content + automate backlinks + outsource more content for linkwheels + automate more backlinks to said linkwheels + repeat 4 more times and then start a new website.
If you suffer from these ideologies, these articles may help you: Must-read #1 , Must-read #2 and Must-read #3.
…if you plan to change nothing about your outlook or business model after reading this, then start updating your resume and cover letter. It’s a hard pill to swallow, but Mr. Panda Update meant business.
Now GO, seriously, just go and read the rest. Lots of good points, resources and articles!
If what you are doing is not working – STOP!
If the regurgitated advice about ‘get rich quick’, link wheels and guaranteed ‘systems’ is getting you nowhere – STOP!
If any of the above resonates with you, what are you going to do TODAY to break the cycle and change things?
Image Credit: graur razvan ionut / FreeDigitalPhotos.net*Advertising Disclosure Policy*